25 Sep Burning Wet Wood
Burning Wet Wood: What Devon Residents Should Know
Hey, fellow Devon residents! At Devonshire Firewood, we’re passionate about helping you enjoy the warmth and charm of a well-maintained fire. We often get asked about the implications of burning wet wood, so we thought we’d share some insights with our community.
Why Wet Wood Isn’t Your Best Bet
When you burn wet firewood, it’s not just about less warmth or that hissing sound. It could lead to significant issues linked to condensation in your chimney.
- Chimney Residue and Tar: Wet wood can cool down your chimney, leading to condensation. This moisture, when combined with other gases and particles, creates a residue that hardens and forms a tar-like substance. Not only does this reduce chimney efficiency, but it might even soak into the brickwork of unlined chimneys.
- Risks of Blockages and Fires: Over time, the buildup can range from flaky deposits to sticky, tar-like globs. Worst case? Your chimney becomes entirely clogged, or the volatile residue might ignite, causing a potentially hazardous chimney fire.
- Corrosion Woes: The moisture from wet wood is acidic, which can erode the interior of a metal chimney liner. Over time, this can lead to liner failure.
Tips for a Safer, Warmer Fireplace Experience
- Regular Chimney Sweeping: To ensure that your fireplace remains efficient and safe, consider having your chimney cleaned:
- Smokeless Coal: Once per year
- Wood: Up to four times per year
- Bituminous Coal: Twice per year If you’re searching for trusted chimney sweeps in our area, consider checking out the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps, NACS, or APICS.
- Safety Alarms are a Must: Every Devon home should have both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide can be especially tricky because it’s colorless, tasteless, and odorless. Installing alarms ensures you’re alerted before levels become perilous.
A Few More Fire Safety Reminders
- Keep flammable items, including wood, away from your stove or fireplace.
- Aim to burn wood dried to a moisture content of 20% or less.
- Never leave open fires unattended.
- Use fire guards as needed.
- Remember to replace and test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly.
Stay warm, safe, and eco-friendly, dear Devon neighbours!