17 Jan Smoked Pear & Chocolate Tart
Devonshire Firewood’s Smoked Pear & Chocolate Tart Recipe
Indulge in the perfect blend of smoky and sweet with Devonshire Firewood’s unique Smoked Pear & Chocolate Tart. This delightful dessert combines the art of both hot and cold smoking, using subtle hints of smoke to enhance the natural flavors of the ingredients.
- 8 fresh pears
- 2 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar
- 100ml whisky or rum
- Dark plain chocolate
- Ready-made puff pastry
- Pecan halves
- A sprinkle of demerara sugar
- Pear wood chips for smoking the pears
- Cherry wood dust for cold smoking the chocolate
- Cold Smoking the Chocolate:
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place it on greaseproof paper.
- Set up your cold smoking equipment using cherry wood dust.
- Cold smoke the chocolate for one hour.
- Tip: Roast pecans in a hot, dry frying pan and set aside for garnishing.
- Preparing the Pears:
- Halve the pears and remove the cores. There’s no need to peel them.
- Place them in a heatproof dish with the muscovado sugar, a splash of water, and whisky or rum.
- Hot Smoking the Pears:
- On a low heat BBQ, add a small handful of pear wood chips in a foil pouch or smoker box.
- Place the dish of pears on the grill and close the BBQ lid.
- After 10 minutes, turn the pears and cook for another 5 minutes. They should be slightly soft but not mushy and have a bronzed color.
- Baking the Pastry:
- Cook the puff pastry separately in an oven, pizza oven, or Kamado grill until it’s golden and puffed.
- Assembling the Tart:
- Melt the smoked chocolate (a couple of minutes in the microwave on medium should do).
- Spread the chocolate over the base of the cooked pastry.
- Arrange the pear halves on top, drizzle with the caramelized cooking liquid from the pears, add the roasted pecans, and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Hot Smoked Caramelised Pear Tart: Omit the chocolate for a simple, smoky fruit tart.
- Smoked Poached Pears: Skip the pastry and chocolate, and serve the smoked pears with ice cream.
- Experiment: Try different fruits or nuts using the same smoking techniques.
Enjoy this exquisite dessert from Devonshire Firewood, where traditional BBQ flavors meet innovative culinary creations.